Technical Tips & Tricks
5. Course Activities
5.1. Discussion Forum
To participate in a discussion :
- Read the opening post
- Almost all discussions will have an opening thread started by course administrators. If not, start your own discussion by clicking “Add a new discussion topic”
- Click “Reply” when you’re ready to respond
- Compose your reply in the message box.
- You’ll notice some common formatting options (e.g., bulleted lists, bolded font) are available to you.
- If you don’t see a function you are looking for, click the “Toggle Toolbar” ( ; aka the kitchen sink) button to view more options.
- Some students prefer to compose their reply in Word and then copy and paste it in. If you do this, please be aware that your formatting may not copy over perfectly.
- Adjust your subscription settings (optional)
- By default, you are not subscribed to receive email copies of posts to this forum
- Attach a file (optional)
- You have two options to upload a file (a) dragging/dropping the file or (b) using the “Add file” button to bring up the file picker where you can browse/upload a file from your computer.
- Check off “Mail now” if you’d like send your post to forum subscribers right away
- We don’t recommend this
- Click “Post to forum” to save and share your contribution with the rest of the class.
Please note: to ensure ease and efficiency in setting up courses, we work from templates that are restored to the system. As such, you may notice opening discussion posts with old dates. Please be assured that all courses are set up and checked 1-2 weeks prior to the start date.